The script will disable the context menu and replace it with this alert box: disable image context menu Pin on Pinterest You can replace the message with whatever you like in line 15, or If you prefer not to show the alert box, just delete or comment out code line 11 and 15. To comment out a line of Javascript, place two slashes "//" in front of the line, like this: Seamed Stockings and Lace : Adventures in Knitting: Fingerless Gloves

Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Adventures in Knitting: Fingerless Gloves

Happy Wednesday to you all!

While I have been in Alaska I have lost all sense of time and days.  We work seven days a week up here, and the only thing that keeps me halfway on track is cooking!  Breakfast gets served at 7:30, lunch at 12:30, and dinner at 6:30.  For the most part I enjoy the cooking (except for the fact that I have to get up and make a full breakfast every morning, which I detest because I am so not a morning person).



While living in North Carolina I would frequently stay up till around 3:00 A.M. each night.  Whether I would be cleaning, baking, or sewing, I did (still do) my best work at night, especially in the creative area.  It is calm, quiet, dark, and peaceful, which I find relaxing.  Needless to say, getting up at 6:00 every morning is just not my thing.  I had a momentary thought that if I set 'Barbosa is Hungry' as Ethan's and my alarm song in the morning, it would be a pleasant rousing start to the day with a touch of irony.  Ha... ha... Not so!  I woke up feeling angry because the song was so sudden and loud... then I nearly punched Ethan, who is in fact one of those sweet morning people!  He wakes up with a broad smile on his face and a sonnet on his lips, then offers to make hot chocolate.  I sit there squinting my eyes with a grumpy expression on my face, and think to my self,  "What is wrong with you?  Why are you so happy?"  I come around after a while.

In the moments where there is little work to do, and in the still of the bright night, I have found myself reaching for my knitting needles more often.  Transporting a knitting project is far more easy to do than a sewing project :)  I have been knitting since around the age of six, when my family's elderly neighbor next door taught me, my eldest sister, and our friends to knit.  We had a little knitting club after church on Sunday, and we always had a lovely time!

I didn't begin to seriously knit until the last few years though.  I taught myself how to cable, which, in my eyes, was quite an incredible feat.  While that was a wonderful learning step for me, I am quite ready to move on!  Yesterday I taught myself knitting in the round without any assistance from the internet!  Haha... After a few tears of frustration, I am proud to say that I believe I have mastered it!



I have always had a love for fingerless gloves, so I decided that my first knitting in the round project would indeed be a set of fingerless gloves.  Just from looking at the photo, I can see many mistakes... However, there is always room to grow in any craft!  Currently, I have my eye on many 1940's knitting patterns (my favorite kind)!  I very much would like to knit a 1940's sweater, but I have many reservations about this.  The largest of these is fitting; I am terrified of knitting a garment and not having it fit!  I do not know how to adjust pattern sizing before knitting... and I can't find anyone else who knows how either.

Any tips?  Or fabulous knitting patterns you would like to share?

I hope that everyone has a wonderful day!

Olivia

No comments:

Post a Comment