The script will disable the context menu and replace it with this alert box: disable image context menu Pin on Pinterest You can replace the message with whatever you like in line 15, or If you prefer not to show the alert box, just delete or comment out code line 11 and 15. To comment out a line of Javascript, place two slashes "//" in front of the line, like this: Seamed Stockings and Lace : Sewing: The Ahwahnee Coat

Saturday, July 23, 2016

Sewing: The Ahwahnee Coat


Hello all! Sorry for my short blogging break there. Work has been very busy here in Alaska, and I have had hardly any time to sew or write! I have been knitting quite a bit as usual but I think I should spread my knitting posts out a bit :) I am pleased to say I have accomplished knitting my first hat though.


Today I thought I would share with you my progress on the first of two winter coats I am sewing this year! I chose Wearing History’s Ahwahnee pattern to get my feet wet in winter coat sewing and it proved to be just perfect for that! I chose a good warm wool and simple lining from Denver Fabrics, and I am loving the color contrast of the grey and the blue.



There are a couple of key design elements that led me to choosing this pattern. 
  1. It had a hood (I love hoods!) 
  2. It had welt pockets
  3. It was not overly formal in design


Later this year I will be embarking upon making a fully tailored 1940’s coat and I wanted this coat to be suitable for everyday use. As well as exploring the highlands later this year. (Ethan and I will be taking a slight detour after Alaska to visit Scotland.)



The coat is not quite finished yet, but it is getting close! This was my first time sewing welt pockets and I think they turned out pretty decently for my first try! All that’s left is sewing the buttons and making the button holes then it is done! I believe I will wait to post the final photos till we are in Scotland however, for a pretty backdrop :) 

Have you ever sewn a winter coat?


No comments:

Post a Comment